LET'S WORK TOGETHER TO HELP KEEP EVERYONE SAFE.
Keeping your kids safe and healthy is incredibly important to us. Below is a detailed overview of our COVID safety processes and policies that are currently in place.
Please note that these processes may change with little notice as we respond to the ever-evolving COVID circumstance.
COVID SAFETY OVERVIEW
Prior to arriving at Backbeat, all students and Backbeat team members are required to conduct a mandatory, self-screening for any COVID-related symptoms or potential COVID exposure. Specifically, students/team members will not be allowed to enter Backbeat if any of the following apply:
- they have tested positive for COVID-19.
- they have a cough, fever, shortness of breath, runny nose, or sore throat that is not related to a pre-existing illness or health condition.
- they have experienced a loss of taste or smell.
- they have been in contact with someone known to have COVID-19.
- they have travelled outside Canada within the last 14 days.
STUDENT DROP-OFF AND CHECK-IN
- We require that all students arrive 5-10 minutes early for their scheduled lesson/rock band/group class. This will allow us to complete our COVID check-in procedures prior to their lesson while also staggering student arrivals and departures.
- Anyone waiting to enter Backbeat is asked to distance from others as much as possible.
- All students will have their hands sprayed with hand sanitizer upon entry.
- Hand sanitizer will be available throughout the course of the day and staff will closely monitor application of sanitizer to ensure children are applying it in a way that is safe.
- Anyone entering Backbeat will have their temperature checked using a contactless thermometer upon arrival.
- Signs will be posted at entrance to remind families that no one is to enter the building if they are sick (even if symptoms resemble a mild cold).
- Everyone entering Backbeat will be required to wear a mask at all times.
- We realize that masks are no longer mandated by the province or the city. However, many of our students are under the age of 12 and therefore not able to be vaccinated. Given this, we feel a responsiblity to do what we can to help keep everyone safe. We will be continuing to require that everyone wears a mask while inside Backbeat until we feel the COVID circumstance warrants otherwise.
- If you are not able to wear a mask due to a pre-existing health condition, we ask that you conduct your music lessons online.
- Only students with pre-scheduled lessons/rock bands/classes and their parents and/or guardians will be permitted to enter Backbeat at this time.
- Please note that while we do have a designated waiting area inside Backbeat, space is limited. We encourage parents to consider alternative waiting areas and/or activities while their child is in lessons (e.g. visiting one of the awesome local coffee shops in walking distance from Backbeat!)
- Two large HEPA filters have been centrally located inside Backbeat and will be continually running during operating hours.
- Where possible, windows and doors will also be opened to further improve air flow.
- We ask that all students be picked up as close to the end of their lesson time as possible. This punctuality will help us limit the number of people inside Backbeat at any given time.
- Students’ hands will be sprayed with hand sanitizer prior to them leaving Backbeat.
- For students in grade six or younger, we ask that parents/guardians come inside or to the front door for pick-up (versus waiting in your car and having your child run out to you).
- If a student cannot attend a private lesson in person (whether related to a health issue or otherwise), they are welcome to do their private lesson online (via Skype).
- If a student is not available to do their lesson online, then their teacher will prepare and send a short video lesson in lieu of that day’s missed lesson.
- Due to their group nature, online lessons or video make-up lessons are not available for missed rock band rehearsals or group classes.
CHANGING BETWEEN IN-PERSON LESSONS AND ONLINE LESSONS
- Students will be able to switch between regularly scheduled in-person lessons and regularly scheduled online lessons at any point during the year.
- Students must provide a minimum of 24 hour’s notice if they would like to switch the format of their regularly scheduled lessons.
- Notice must be given in writing and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note: this is different than having a one-off online lesson due to a student having a runny nose, for example, in which case, the bullets listed under “Missed Lessons” would apply.
GROUP CLASSES AND ROCK BANDS
- Class sizes will be limited to encourage physical distancing during group classes and rock bands.
- All students in group classes and rock bands will be required to wear masks.
- All shared instruments/surfaces will be disinfected between use.
- To improve ventilation, windows will be opened where possible.
- Anyone who is singing will be required to wear a mask and distance from everyone else in the room.
- Instrument sharing will be avoided as much as possible. If sharing is necessary, we will be disinfecting all shared instruments (i.e. keyboards) between use.
- Where possible, children will be encouraged to bring their own instruments to Backbeat to avoid sharing. (i.e. guitars, bass, drum sticks)
- Washrooms, door handles and other shared surfaces will be cleaned and disinfected frequently to reduce risk of transmission.
- At this time, we do not know what the COVID circumstance will be in November when our first round of rock shows is scheduled to occur.
- Closer to November, we will directly advise students and parents as to the format and schedule of all upcoming performances.
IF SOMEONE STARTS SHOWING SYMPTOMS WHILE AT BACKBEAT
- If a student develops symptoms while at Backbeat, they will be isolated away from other students and their parent or guardian will be notified to come and pick up the student immediately.
- If a Backbeat team member develops illness while at work, they will immediately remove themselves from any contact with others, notify their supervisor and go home.
- PLEASE NOTE: parents are expected to be available during their child's lesson/class should immediate pick-up be required.
IF A TEACHER IS SICK OR EXPERIENCING SYMPTOMS
- We are asking our team to be safe and stay home if they are experiencing any symptoms.
- If a teacher is absent or sick, Backbeat will either (a) provide a substitute teacher so that students can still attend in person, or (b) arrange for an online lesson with their usual teacher.
- Private lessons will end about 3 minutes early to allow teachers to disinfect any shared surfaces before the start of the next lesson.
- Rock bands will end about 5 minutes early to allow teachers to disinfect any shared surfaces prior to the next lesson or rock band.
ONGOING COMMUNICATION WITH BACKBEAT
- Despite all of these added measures, it’s really important to us that you, as our Backbeat families, feel that you can get in touch with us whenever you need.
- The best way to reach us is by emailing us at email@example.com. We will continue to check email regularly and respond to you as quickly as possible.
- Similarly, please ensure that emails from us are not being accidentally misdirected to your junk mail.
We know this is a lot of information, but thanks for working with us to help keep everyone safe and healthy.