LET'S WORK TOGETHER TO HELP KEEP EVERYONE SAFE.
Due to the changes caused by the coronavirus (COVID), we have revisited and discussed all of our processes and procedures to come up with safety measures that will allow us to keep making music together. Given the ever-evolving nature of COVID, please note that these measures may change as we continue to monitor new developments and learn about recommended best practices. Please see below for our current processes and policies related to the following:
Prior to arriving at Backbeat, all students and Backbeat team members are required to conduct a mandatory, self-screening for any COVID-related symptoms or potential COVID exposure. Specifically, students/team members will not be allowed to enter Backbeat if any of the following apply:
- they have tested positive for COVID-19.
- they have a cough, fever, shortness of breath, runny nose, or sore throat that is not related to a pre-existing illness or health condition.
- they have experienced a loss of taste or smell.
- they have been in contact with someone known to have COVID-19.
- they have travelled outside Canada within the last 14 days.
STAGGERED STUDENT DROP-OFF AND CHECK-IN
- We now require that all students arrive 5-10 minutes early for their scheduled lesson/rock band/group class. This will allow us to complete our COVID check-in procedures prior to their lesson while also staggering student arrivals and departures.
- Our front door will be locked, even during operating hours. A Backbeat team member will open the door for pre-scheduled students when they arrive.
- Students waiting to enter Backbeat must maintain a distance of 2m from other students.
- All students will have their hands sprayed with hand sanitizer upon entry.
- Hand sanitizer will be available throughout the course of the day and staff will closely monitor application of sanitizer to ensure children are applying it in a way that is safe.
- All students will have their temperature checked using a contactless thermometer upon arrival.
- Signs will be posted at entrance to remind families that no one is to enter the building if they are sick (even if symptoms resemble a mild cold).
- Students will be guided to a designated waiting place to wait for their lesson to start. Designated waiting places will be physically distanced from each other.
- Everyone entering Backbeat will be required to wear a mask at all times. This is in compliance with the City of Edmonton’s current mask bylaw.
- If you are not able to wear a mask due to a pre-existing health condition, we ask that you conduct your music lessons online.
- Only students with pre-scheduled lessons/rock bands/classes will be permitted to enter Backbeat at this time.
- If a parent would like to observe their child’s lesson or speak with a Backbeat staff member in-person, we kindly ask that this be pre-arranged by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Where possible, parents will be invited to observe their child's lessons virtually via Skype.
- After their lessons/rock band, students will be guided to an individual, designated waiting place to wait for pick-up.
- Designated waiting places will be physically distanced.
- Students’ hands will be sprayed with hand sanitizer prior to them leaving Backbeat.
- A Backbeat team member will open the front door for students leaving.
- For students in grade six or younger, we ask that parents/guardians wait outside our front door for pick-up.
- If a student cannot attend a private lesson in person (whether related to a health issue or otherwise), they are welcome to do their private lesson online (via Skype).
- If a student is not available to do their lesson online, then their teacher will prepare and send a short video make-up lesson in lieu of that day’s missed lesson.
- Due to their group nature, online lessons or video make-up lessons are not available for missed rock band rehearsals or group classes.
- Please note: we will no longer be scheduling make-up lessons for missed lessons even if advance notice is given.
CHANGING BETWEEN IN-PERSON LESSONS AND ONLINE LESSONS
- Students will be able to switch between regularly scheduled in-person lessons and regularly scheduled online lessons at any point during the year.
- Students must provide a minimum of one week’s notice if they would like to switch the format of their regularly scheduled lessons.
- Notice must be given in writing and sent to email@example.com.
- Please note: this is different than having a one-off online lesson due to a student having a runny nose, for example, in which case, the bullets listed under “Missed Lessons” would apply.
GROUP CLASSES AND ROCK BANDS
- Class sizes will be limited to allow for physical distancing during group classes and rock bands.
- All students in group classes and rock bands will be required to wear masks.
- All shared instruments/surfaces will be disinfected between use.
- To improve ventilation, windows will be opened where possible. We are also exploring the possible use of HEPA filters in rooms with group classes.
- Anyone who is singing will be required to wear a mask, will maintain a minimum distance of 2m from everyone else in the room, and will only be permitted to sing behind a Plexiglass shield.
- Instrument sharing will be avoided as much as possible. If sharing is necessary, we will be disinfecting all shared instruments (i.e. keyboards) between use.
- Where possible, children will be encouraged to bring their own instruments to Backbeat to avoid sharing. (i.e. guitars, bass, drum sticks)
- Washrooms, door handles and other shared surfaces will be cleaned and disinfected frequently to reduce risk of transmission.
- We are not able to host live shows inside Backbeat at this time.
- For the foreseeable future, all student performances will either happen outdoors or with the audience watching over Zoom.
IF SOMEONE STARTS SHOWING SYMPTOMS WHILE AT BACKBEAT
- If a student develops symptoms while at Backbeat, they will be isolated away from other students and their parent or guardian will be notified to come and pick up the student immediately.
- If a Backbeat team member develops illness while at work, they will immediately remove themselves from any contact with others, notify their supervisor and go home.
- PLEASE NOTE: parents are expected to be available during their child's lesson/class should immediate pick-up be required.
IF A TEACHER IS SICK OR EXPERIENCING SYMPTOMS
- We are asking our team to be safe and stay home if they are experiencing any symptoms.
- If a teacher is absent or sick, Backbeat will either (a) provide a substitute teacher so that students can still attend in person, or (b) arrange for an online lesson with their usual teacher.
- Private lessons will end about 3 minutes early to allow teachers to disinfect any shared surfaces before the start of the next lesson.
- Rock bands will end about 5 minutes early to allow teachers to disinfect any shared surfaces prior to the next lesson or rock band.
ONGOING COMMUNICATION WITH BACKBEAT
- Despite all of these added measures, it’s really important to us that you, as our Backbeat families, feel that you can get in touch with us whenever you need.
- The best way to reach us is by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will continue to check email regularly and respond to you as quickly as possible.
- Similarly, please ensure that emails from us are not being accidentally misdirected to your junk mail.
We know this is a lot of information, but thanks for working with us to help keep everyone safe.